I’m approaching my 28th birthday this week, which means 30 is just around the corner. Overall I think my life has gone in the right direction (I’m not homeless, I’m not a drug addict, I haven’t committed any crimes), but I definitely still have some goals to accomplish in the next couple of years.
Things I want to do before I turn 30:
1) Live in another country for at least a year. Unlike most of my friends, I never lived abroad to study or teach. When I was 23, I was actually planning to move to Brazil to teach English, and that is when I met Hector. We got engaged very quickly, but Hector promised that we would live in another country at some point. I will definitely hold him to that promise.
2) Quit my insurance job. This has been my goal since my second week of work, and I keep getting distracted by raises and promotions. Life’s too short to work a job that you don’t care about.
3) Do a G Adventures Yolo trip. I found this travel company a while back which offers budget-friendly adventure trips for people ages 18-39 (so I guess technically it could be a “before 40” goal). Every now and then I go back and peek at their website – it is definitely still on my radar.
4) Learn self-defense. This is so important and has been on my to-do list since I was a teenager. One year I tried to take action and signed up for a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class, not really knowing what it was (I thought it was similar to kickboxing), and thinking it’d be a good place to meet cute Brazilians. Turns out it’s actually more like wrestling, and I was the only girl in the class. Getting jumped on by sweaty men wasn’t exactly appealing, so I never went back. This time maybe I’ll try karate.
5) Go hammock camping or stay at a hammock hostel. A hammock hostel has no beds – instead you rent a hammock and hang it somewhere. From what I hear these are usually super cheap, like under $20/night.
6) Become fluent in Spanish. This is another goal that I’ve been working on for many years, but I don’t think I’ll become fully fluent until I achieve Goal #1.
7) Learn about art history so I can have a better appreciation of art. Now that I’m older, there’s no excuse for being culturally ignorant.
8) Learn to get along with my in-laws. I’ve been trying at this for years now, so if you have some advice, please throw it out there.